Monday, March 8, 2010

Dulce de Leche Banana Cream Pie

This was amazing. I just have to figure out how to stabilize the dulce de leche because it ended up making the pie a runny mess, which is why I don't have a photo. But it was a delicious runny mess. I used the Dorie Greenspan recipe for pastry cream with an extra teaspoon of vanilla (I did use a vanilla bean as well), almost a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg and lightened it a bit with sweetened whipped cream after it had cooled. I made the dulce de leche in the oven using David Labovitz's brilliant method and made the trusty Smitten Kitchen all butter crust. I layered the dulce de leche, bananas (thinly sliced), and pastry cream twice. Oh my, it may be my new favorite pie, and I don't usually get excited about banana cream. So if you have any ideas on how to stabilize the dulce de leche, let me know.

1 comment:

kathy w. said...

I love your recipes so much. Also, I just realized that I never responded to the comment you left on our blog. I'm glad you're in town!

In terms of your question, I'm totally flexible and grateful for either fruit or chocolate. They're both the best things in the world to eat, so I don't really have a preference.

We're in Draper, and we might be having a baby this weekend, but if she doesn't come, we can definitely come meet you somewhere. We'd love to see you. Just holler: kathymwest@gmail.com