Thursday, April 1, 2010

Brilliant.


Lately I've been out of my menu-planning groove and our lives have been so hectic that I've felt completely incapable of making a simple grocery shopping list. The other night I got on to Tastespotting and found the inspiration I needed. The first recipe I decided to try was a butternut squash fondue and this dish is pure brilliance. One small squash will give 2 people a very filling meal and you get the best of both words - cheesey delicious fondue, roasted butternut squash, no fondue pot required. The original recipe is in metric so I just estimated the proportions.
1 butternut squash, halved
*I used a large serrated knife and it worked beautifully. After you halve the squash scoop out the seeds and strings and score the squash with x's. Place in an ovensafe dish or pan.
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1-2 Tbs butter or olive oil
2-3 Tbs creme fraiche (this is similar to sour cream, but oh so much better)
2-4 oz grated cheese (I used Emmenthaler)
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbs chicken stock
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
*The original recipe also calls for fresh thyme, which I bought but completely forgot to use.
Rub the hollow of each squash halve with minced garlic and place in pan. Whisk together cornstarch and chicken stock and then add creme fraiche and grated cheese and season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir until combined and spoon into squash hollows. Brush melted butter over scored squash and season (if desired) with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 60 minutes (depends on the size of your squash) until squash is tender. When almost cooked toast slices of bread and cube for dipping in the fondue. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

kathy w. said...

Oh, wow. I cannot WAIT to make this.

julieannaf said...

That looks amazing! What a simple yet genius idea...

julieannaf said...

I made this tonight and it turned out really well! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

I wanted to share a recipe that I made the other day that was pretty incredible:

http://www.wasabibratwurst.com/grilled-red-snapper-with-avocado-sauce/http://www.wasabibratwurst.com/grilled-red-snapper-with-avocado-sauce/

I used beer instead of wine and it was delicious. I imagine you could use non-alcoholic wine or beer for the sauce.