Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What we've been eating.

I have a friend who is gluten/dairy/egg/sugar/nut intolerant, and this friend has some serious chocolate cravings. So I came up with this recipe and it is my new favorite quick chocolate fix. These cookies remind me of the chocolate macaroons at the Boise Co-op, minus the guilt.

No Bake Cookies
1 c old fashioned rolled oats (do not just quick cooking!!!)
1/2 c unsweetened coconut (I suppose this is optional, but if you don't like coconut you need to try harder.)
1 T coconut oil
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 c light agave syrup
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Combine oats and coconut. Set aside. In a small saucepan whisk the coconut oil, cocoa powder, and agave over medium heat until thick and smooth. When hot to the touch remove from heat and add vanilla. Add oats and coconut and stir until evenly mixed. Drop by tablespoonful onto parchment/silpat lined baking sheet and cool in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or until firm. This only makes 12 or so (perfect for the binge eater that I am) so feel free to try doubling or tripling. You may need to play around with the amount of coconut oil if you double the recipe because I'm not sure if that will have to be doubled. These are quite divine.

My new favorite sandwich requires a grill of some sort. I just use my grill pan and it works perfectly. For each sandwich you will need:

1 demi baguette, sliced and brushed lightly with olive oil
1 slice of young eggplant, peeled, brushed lightly with olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and basil
a bit of butter
4 to 6 mushrooms, sliced
handful of fresh spinach, torn
1 oz pepper jack cheese (or any cheese of your choice)

Heat grill pan and grill eggplant on both sides until juicy and no longer tough. Grill baguette halves and set on plate. In a small fry pan heat a bit of butter and add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add spinach just to wilt. To assemble place grilled eggplant on bread, top with slices of cheese, top with mushroom/spinach mixture, and finish with other baguette. Even my carnivorous husband is in love with this sandwich.

Another great vegetarian dish is yam and bean burritos. You can use canned beans, but try to cook your own dried beans. I soaked a cup of pinto beans overnight and then covered them with water and boiled for 10 minutes, added a chopped onion, reduced the heat to a simmer and simmered for a bout 20 minutes until tender. Then I drained them and seasoned them with salt and garlic powder. To serve 4 to 6 you will need:

Tortillas (might I recommend the Garden of Eatin organic whole wheat tortillas - very good)
2 medium yams
Tomato Salsa (I used medium hot)
1 to 2 T olive oil or canola oil
Chili Powder (only use if you use a mild salsa, start out with 1 tsp and add more until you get the heat you like)
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 onion, thinly sliced (I've used red, white, and yellow onions)
2 to 3 cloves of garlic, minced
Cooked beans (black beans would also work, I just used the pinto beans for kicks)
Avocado or cheese
Lettuce

Wash and prick yams with a fork and microwave until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. They will soften as they sit so don't over cook because you don't want them to be mushy! In a large fry pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, add the garlic for 1 minute, add the cumin, yams, beans, and salsa (I used about 1/3 c because it was very hot) and cook until fragrant and warmed through. Fill tortilla with mixture, top with avocado, cheese, or lettuce (or all three!) and prepare to fall in love with a burrito.

Two fun cookbooks to look for at your library are The Gluten Free Vegan (obviously I got this one to try to find some recipes to cook for my friend with all of the food allergies, but I've loved it and if you aren't gluten sensitive you can easily use wheat produces instead, but it has good recipe ideas) and V Cuisine, The Art of New Vegan Cooking. Again, I use dairy instead of soy and add meat to some of the recipes instead of meat substitutes, but really good recipes.

1 comment:

Alan said...

"if you don't like coconut you need to try harder" = great way to sum it up