Thursday, May 19, 2011

Carrot Gnocchi and Bread

I have had one life changing gnocchi experience, one really good gnocchi experience, and many terrible gnocchi experiences. The life changing one occurred at a completely legit Italian restaurant in San Francisco where their Italian accents were still so pronounced that I could barely understand their English when they spoke to us. The really good gnocchi was at Pizzeria 712 in Orem, UT and it was a ricotta gnocchi with a creamy goat cheese sauce.

Tonight I made this gnocchi. Here are my tips:
*It says it serves 4 but I doubled the recipe and it just fed the three in our household who have advanced past baby food.
*I didn't have any Parmesan cheese so I didn't use it. I also didn't have fresh sage.
*WHEN I make this again I will make the dough in the morning instead of doing it all at once.
*I don't know why it says to boil them for 6 to 7 seconds, mine took much longer.

I made a coconut sauce to accompany them and I just made a roux with some butter, flour and Better than Bullion chicken stock mix (about 1 tsp) and once that was combined and cooked I added about 1/2 a can of light coconut milk. Once it had thickened I added just a bit of cinnamon and ginger.

I also made this bread which can be made in less than 2 hours. I made one loaf instead of three.

We rounded out our meal with some of the wilted maple spinach. Great dinner. My kitchen is now a mess.

1 comment:

kathy w. said...

Ooh, yummy. I'm definitely going to try this.

Also, we just moved to Provo! We'll need to check out Pizzeria 712 sometime soon. I'm up for a really good gnocchi experience.