Thursday, October 4, 2012

Apple and Blackberry Crisp

My brother complains there aren't enough photos on my blog.  There are two reasons for this, the first being that the light fixtures in my house tend to make everything photographed inside look yellow.  Not super appetizing.  The second reason is because we usually eat things as soon as they are made, and I don't think about photos until it is too late.  I'll try to work on this. 

This recipe is adapted from a recipe in the Mayo Clinic Cookbook for their summer fruit gratin.  I kind of made it up as I went a long so I'll do my best to estimate amounts.

This will make a 9x13 pan, which you can spray with cooking spray or butter if you'd like.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

4 to 6 apples, depending on the size, peeled and chopped
1 pkg frozen marionberries (I have tried many varieties of blackberries but the Stahlbush Farm Marionberries are by far my favorite)
1/2 to 1 tsp lemon zest
scant 1/4 c sugar (depends on the tartness of your apples and berries, taste and adjust to suit your preferences)
1 T all-purpose flour

Rub the zest into the sugar, mix with the flour, toss with the fruit and spread in an even layer in the pan.

For the topping:

1 c rolled oats
1/2 c sliced almonds (optional)
6 T all-purpose flour
1/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
4 T melted butter, canola oil, walnut oil or coconut oil
2 T honey

Combine all of the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, mix with hands until well blended and then crumble on top of the fruit.  Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until fruit is bubbling and topping is lightly browned. 

I served this with homemade caramel sauce, but it would be lovely with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

No comments: