Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Good Reads


Who doesn't love looking through a new cookbook? Here are a few I recommend:

Home Baking The Artful Mix of Flour and Tradition Around the World
by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Dugiud
Bryant gave this book to me for our first Christmas and after 4 years the pages are stained and the spine is broken, the marks of a well-used cookbook. You will love the photography and stories collected from bakers around the world, and may find yourself inspired to try a recipe that takes 3 days to finish! Some of my favorites are: Free-form Fruit Galette (pg 21), Dom's Large-Batch Italian Boules (pg 179), and Pugliese Sponge Breads (pg 188).

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison
This is a vegetarian cookbook written by a person who is not a vegetarian. A great resource for all vegetables and grains. Don't be put off by the Vegetarian premise, Deborah Madison indicates in the introduction that this is a book for everyone, you can even add meat to the recipes if you like. Some of my favorites are: Butterflies with Chickpeas (pg 449), Basic Buttermilk Muffins with Streusel Topping (pg 642), and Stuffed Peppers with Corn and Mozzarella (pg 406). Check out this book if you routinely steam vegetables and serve them on the side.

Jamie at Home Cook Your Way to the Good Life by Jamie Oliver
I mentioned to Bryant one day that if I couldn't be married to him, and I had to marry someone from the Food Network, that I would marry Jamie Oliver. Bryant gave me a very strange look and asked why on earth I had felt the need to share this information with him, and I explained that it was because he not only cooked, but gardened. Bryant again reiterated that this was information he didn't need. I like Jamie Oliver's basic approach to food, both veg and meat, and the way he utilizes fresh ingredients. Catch his show on the Food Network on Saturday mornings or check out this book. Better yet, do both. This book is new to my collection so I will keep you posted on what is good, but I think all the recipes will fall into this category. Bryant is a fan of Jamie Oliver because he advocates hunting, one more person on his team.

Tartine By Elisabeth M Prueitt and Chad Rovertson
I love sweets and have a lot of cookbooks dedicated entirely to dessert. This book is the newest addition to my collection (thanks mom and dad) and so far my favorite. It encompasses both basic technique and incredible flavor. I now need to make a voyage to San Francisco specifically to eat at this place. Another cookbook that I haven't actually used yet, but have read cover to cover. I'll keep you posted. (No pun intended.)

I'll end this post with two basics that should grace every home collection. The Joy of Cooking is the ultimate no-fail standby with recipes and techniques for every imaginable topic. The molten chocolate cakes are incredible and the fudge recipe out of this world. Everyone should also have a cope of The New American Heart Association Cookbook. This is a very handy, very easy to use, resource with lots of delicious and healthy recipes. Make Southern Raised Biscuits (pg 509) for your next dinner and prepare to be inundated with compliments. Recipes that are delicious and healthy? Perfect.

I've had to force myself to keep my list short, because I own a lot of cookbooks, but right now these are my favorites.

1 comment:

kathy w. said...

Thanks for the heads up on the vegetarian cookbook. Christopher doesn't eat much meat, so he's an almost-vegetarian.

I've found lots of cookbook options, but couldn't ever decide on one; how fortunate that I can take your word for it.