Thursday, August 20, 2009

An egg by any other name . . .

Breakfasts at my Nana's home are anything but simple. The usual spread consists of hotcakes (she doesn't make pancakes as far as I know, just hotcakes), toast, eggs, hot cereal with cream and brown sugar, and fresh fruit smoothies which are my Papa's specialty. I grew up eating what I thought were poached eggs any time I was staying with them. Poached eggs were and still are my favorite especially with a well-buttered piece of toast to tear up and mix into the runny yolk and just cooked egg white. It wasn't until around the age of 23 or so that I learned that what I thought was a poached egg was not. I was watching one of those become a designer reality shows and one of the team projects was to run a B&B for a weekend. One of the judges ordered a poached egg and this seemingly simple meal because quite the challenge for one of the teams. Their poached egg was most certainly not my poached egg. I decided that my Nana was just confused and made my first actually poached egg several days later. I didn't like it at all.

Fast forward. I am really hungry and stranded at home because Bryant is working at a hospital in another city this week and therefore has our car. Our refrigerator is almost empty because we are moving into our new home soon.so I do not have many food options at the moment. I do, however, have eggs and cream, and as I thought about what I could make I remembered hearing something about an egg coddled in cream. My Internet search led me to this article by Dorrie Greenspan and the realization that I have been eating coddled eggs my entire life, minus the cream. Coddled eggs, come to find out, are a quintessential British dish which makes even more sense considering my Nana's very English upbringing. So there you have it. I like my eggs coddled, not poached, thank you very much, and the addition of cream is simply lovely. One mystery solved. The next task is to figure out how on earth to make her hotcakes. I have the recipe, but I swear they are not remotely close to the ones that she whips up. I may have to record her making them next week.

4 comments:

Pam said...

Oh how I wish you were my Mother right now ad I your young child so I could eat all your yummy food.

melissa said...

A new home??? That is very exciting, but stressful I know! Will it still be in your same area? I am amazed with your culinary abilities and also if you happen to have any of your vegetable recipes to share I would love that!!

Masons said...

My Grandpa makes "hotcakes" too! I love that he calls them that. And they are SO yummy. I'm pretty sure he uses wheat germ and some other secret ingredients.

Adrienne said...

Pam - you can move in any day of the week. We'd love that.

Melissa - do you have a particular vegetable in mind? So far I've posted a recipe with eggplant and one with swiss chard. Summer squash? Peppers? Pick a veggie, any veggie.

Tara - I swear just by virtue of calling them hotcakes they taste better!