Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hotcakes

This photo is several years old, but it is one in which my Nana is actually smiling. Usually she is trying to hide from the camera. She will be 80 years old next month and is still going strong despite battling cancer 3 times. I absolutely love her hotcakes, and although she gave me the recipe several years ago I've never been able to replicate her hotcakes at home. So this trip I decided to watch her closely and write down her every move. It was a good decision because she has made some major changes (like omitting the sugar, cutting the salt in half, and doubling the amount of buttermilk!) to the recipe and didn't write them down because she thought I wanted the original recipe. Her hotcakes are light and feathery with a slight tang from the buttermilk. They are my favorite.

1 1/4 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
1 1/2 - 2 c buttermilk (the amount of buttermilk depends on your flour and the humidity. The batter will thicken as it sits. You want it to pour easily off the spoon, not plop or run off.)
2 Tbs oil

In a mixing bowl combine the first 4 ingredients. Make a well in the center and add the remaining 3 ingredients. Mix until the batter is smooth. Drop by tablespoonful (this is important - not the measurement tablespoon, but the big spoon in your utensil drawer) onto a hot griddle. When bubbles appear on the surface flip and cook on the other side until golden brown. Serve with syrup of your choice. Nana prefers chokecherry syrup.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Thursday's are our breakfast for dinner day and so I am going to make these. Thanks for sharing. I should send you my recipe for buttermilk syrup. HEAVEN!