Tuesday, January 19, 2010

3 lbs down, 7 more to go

After Connor was born I gained 5 lbs simply due to lack of exercise. It was really hard to go anywhere in January with a tiny new baby. And then we travelled a lot, and then we moved, and then the holidays came and not only did I not ever lose that initial 5 lbs but I gained an additional 5, seemingly overnight. Growing up weight gain was something I constantly worried about, but in a different way because I was always trying to weigh more. My heart problem made it very difficult for me to gain any weight. I can vividly remember the day I reached the 100 lbs mark which was a day of celebration. Hooray for hearts that work! It has been hard to change that 'must gain weight' mentality as I've been in my twentites and to realize that I need to exercise. So my goal is to lose the weight by Valentine's Day, which means I have to be a lot more conscious about what I eat. The funny thing is I don't eat a lot, but I haven't been moving a lot either, so what I do it sticks. My two biggest downfalls have been lack of exercise and lack of planning because when I don't plan I don't eat well. My exercise plan is off to a good start (down 3 lbs already) and I am getting back into the swing of things with meal planning. I have a major sweet tooth so yesterday I made almond biscotti, another fabulous recipe from the mayo clinic, with a few changes. I left out the dried apricot, used 1 tsp of vanilla instead of the almond extract, and added 1/2 a vanilla bean. They are delicious and mildly sweet and fulfill my craving for something sweet and crunchy. Last night was more fun with Martha and vegetables as I tried out this new quinoa recipe I cut out of the January issue. It is delicious and combines many of my food loves. I love quinoa because it is the only non-animal complete protein. I love swiss chard for its color and flavor and versatility, and I love mushrooms. This is quick to prepare (although I would recommend first cooking the chard stems until almost tender and then adding the leaves) and delicious.
I do not believe in dieting, just in healthy eating. I love butter and chocolate and sugar and fat and have no intention of cutting them out of my diet, but I also understand the effects of creeping obesity and don't want to gain 10 lbs a year for the next 5 years so I figure I had better get this under control now while my life is relatively simple and I only have one child.

3 comments:

kathy w. said...

I'm glad you love butter and chocolate and fat. I think we're fat-phobic in this country, which doesn't necessarily help us to eat better because we need some good fat in our diets.

Good luck with the Valentine's goal.

And thanks again for all the recipes; it's nice to try things out that have been recommended by someone who I agree with (ideologically--is that possible?) about food.

Adrienne said...

Thanks Kathy. You need to go to our family blog and post your favorite children's books. http://petersonabcs.blogspot.com. My downfall with healthy eating is that I am a total binge eater when it comes to sweets, so portion control is really important. This is why I usually only make dessert in servings for two or if we have company, because I can't keep myself from eating an entire pan of brownies. It just isn't possible. :)

melissa said...

good luck with your goal!