Thursday, January 21, 2010

Szechuan Sesame Noodles

Fanny gave me a bon appetit recipe-a-day calender and if this is the only recipe that I ever make it will be completely worth it. I changed it up a bit, decreased the amount of oil, increased the amount of veggies, and added a bit of chicken breast for additional protein for my carnivorous husband. I also made my own teriyaki sauce (soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic powder) to save money. It is amazingly good, a bit spicy, and even good cold the next day for lunch. This recipe serves 4, if you can keep yourself from eating it all in one sitting.

8 oz thin dried Asian noodles or linguine
1 1/2 tbs sesame oil, divided
3 tbs chopped peanuts
3 garlic cloves
6 tbs teriyaki sauce
2 tbs fresh lime juice
1 tsp chili-garlic sauce (found in the Asian aisle)
1 bunch of green onions thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
1 c snow peas, trimmed
1 chicken breast, thinly sliced

Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to the bite. Drain and return noodles to pot and mix in 1/2 tbs sesame oil and peanuts.

Heat remaining 1 tbs oil in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and stir 10 seconds. Add the red bell pepper and chicken and saute for 1 minute or so. Add the teriyaki sauce, lime juice, and chili-garlic sauce and simmer until chicken is cooked through and pepper is tender. Mix into noodles and stir in green onion and snow peas.

This is so good you will never need to go out for Chinese take-out again.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Adrienne,

So after skimming your blog I am totally in awe of your culinary abilities - and I can't wait for dinner next Sunday!! Also, I'm totally going to try the weeklong menu next week! Wish me luck!

Melissa

Adrienne said...

You are sweet Melissa. I just really like to try new things, that's all! Did you see anything you want me to make on Sunday?