Saturday, January 29, 2011

More cake.

This is now my favorite white cake recipe. Buy the vanilla bean, it is worth it. This recipe is from Organic and Chic by Sarah Magid. The only change I made was using a whole vanilla bean rather than a half.

Vanilla Bean Butter Cake

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 c white sugar
4 eggs
1 c whole milk
1 T vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out and reserved
2 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 2 8-inch (I used 6 inch) round cake pans (I also lined them with parchment paper) or place liners in muffin pans for 24 cupcakes.

Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add eggs, one at a time.

In a small bowl combine the milk, vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds. Set aside.

In another bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.

With mixer on low speed alternate adding the flour and milk mixtures, starting and ending with the flour. When almost combined turn off the mixer and scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Finish mixing the batter by hand with a rubber spatula. Pour into prepared pans.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or 24 to 30 minutes for cupcakes. Let cool in pans for 15 minutes then invert on a wire rack and cool completely.

Vanilla Whipped Buttercream

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 c whole milk
1/4 c all-purpose four
1 1/2 T vanilla extract

In a small saucepan combine 1/4 c of the milk with the flour and vanilla and whisk until completely smooth. Over medium heat slowly add the remaining heat and whisk constantly until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat and keep stirring. Cool in an ice bath to room temperature.

Cream the butter on medium speed. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low slowly add the thickened and cooled milk mixture and increase speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy.

4 comments:

Alan said...

Ok, basic question. When you butter and flour cake pans and also use parchment paper...does that mean you butter and flour the paper? or under the paper?

This cake sounds delicious.

Adrienne said...

I usually butter the pan, then place the parchment, butter the parchment, and flour. Technically you don't need to butter the parchment because it is nonstick already, but I like to flour after placing the parchment so that the parchment sticks to the bottom of the pan which prevents any batter from leaking underneath. It drives me crazy when my cakes stick so I take more precautions than necessary.

It is delicious. Make it very soon.

Ali said...

Yay! It looks so yummy, so I'm excited to try it out!

kathy w. said...

I had never bought a vanilla bean before in my life, but I did to try out this recipe. I licked the spatula after I was done frosting the cake and mmmm!

We'll eat it tomorrow—I'll have to let you know the final verdict from everyone else, if I don't eat it all myself first.

Thanks for the recipe.