Thursday, March 7, 2013

Probably my best loaf of whole wheat bread. Ever.

Super easy, but it only makes one loaf.  That is the bad part.  I really didn't want to dig under the sink to pull out my wheat grinder (our new kitchen has zero storage) so I decided to just grind the wheat in m blender.  But I was impatient and tried to grind to much at once, so it was much coarser than I had wanted.  But I think that is partially what made the bread so delicious. Because of the less than fluffy consistency of my ground wheat I decided to add a cup of all purpose flour to the dough as I was kneading it.  So here's the recipe, I just made it in a stand mixer.  I was feeling lazy this morning, which might have something to do with being awakened at 5am by a little girl named Lily.

1 1/2 c warm water mixed with 1 pkg yeast
3 c whole wheat flour (mind you, mine was just ground so you may need to adjust the amount if you use store bought flour because it will have settled)
1 c all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1/4 c maple syrup
2 T coconut oil (I love coconut, therefore I love coconut oil, but you don't taste it in the final product)

Mix the whole wheat flour and salt.  Add the proofed yeast/water mixture and maple syrup and oil and beat with the paddle attachment (or mix with a wooden spoon if doing by hand) until combined.  Add additional flour until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and forms a ball. Change to dough hook attachment to knead for an additional 8 minutes or so.  Place in a greased bowl, cover with a towel, and set aside to rise.  Punch down, shape, put in greased bread pan and let rise again.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Reduce heat to 375 when you put the bread in and cook for 30 minutes or until it makes a hallow noise when you tap on it.  Devour. 

No comments: