Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Apple Crisp for Amy

Since I'm already on the subject of Amy, I thought I would post the apple crisp I made for her last weekend. I'm not sure where it ranked in her apple crisp experiences, but I was surprised at just how good it tasted, and surprised that it actually turned out. Here's why, the recipe is from the March 2009 issue of Bon Appetit and it is for a caramel apple crisp. You make the caramel and then add the apples to coat, pour it into a pan, and top with the crisp topping. I became quite concerned when the caramel didn't coat the apples but instead clumped and hardened. Jonathan & Amy reassured me that it would work, but I was skeptical. Sure enough the juices that released from the apples during baking softened the caramel and produced and wonderfully flavored apple crisp. Thanks again Bon Appetit. It's a keeper.

Topping
1 1/4 c all purpose flour
10 TBS sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
10 TBS chilled unsalted butter, diced

Filling
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c unsalted butter, diced
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
6 Pippin or Golden Delicious apples (I used a combination) peeled, quartered (I cut them in eighths) and cored

Topping/Whisk first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl to blend. Add butter and rub with fingertips until small moist clumps form.

Filling/Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir sugar and butter in large skillet over medium heat until smooth sauce forms. Add lemon juice and cook, stirring, until caramel is brown, about 5 minutes. Mix in salt, then apples. Toss until apples are evenly coated, about 1 minute. Scrape apples and caramel into 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish; spread evenly. Sprinkle topping evenly over.

Bake crisp until apples are tender, sauce is bubbling thickly, and topping is golden, about 50 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving. It was fantastic plain, but could also be served with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

kathy w. said...

This looks yummy. I'm excited to try it.