Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cherry Tomatoes and Green Beans

Picking up my CSA loot this week was quite exciting. I really missed it. I was thrilled to see a beautiful pint of cherry tomatoes. I was less excited about the green beans. I like green beans, but they don't excite me with possibilities. I was flipping through Farm to Fork looking for something that featured green beans and found a great recipe for a salad with beans and tomatoes. I didn't have the majority of the ingredients, so this is what I did instead:

Green Beans, trimmed (I think I had somewhere between 1/2 and 1 lb)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
Salt
Pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1/6 c olive oil
1/6 c white wine vinegar
1 t sugar
Thai basil leaves, torn

Bring a pot of water to a boil, salt water and blanch green beans for 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately drain and put in an ice bath (no ice so I just ran cold water over the beans until they were cool. Put beans in a large bowl with tomatoes.

Mix dressing ingredients: oil, vinegar, sugar, basil, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Toss vinaigrette with beans and tomatoes and add more salt if desired. Divide among 4 bowls and serve with crusty bread and goat cheese. We ate the beans with our fingers, tomatoes with a fork, and soaked up the dressing with the bread spread with goat cheese. Really good. Really filling. Really simple. Really.

1 comment:

Clarrisa Bartholomew said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy snack of green beans. Snack? Yes. Take your green beans and put them on a cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil over them and salt and pepper. Broil them until they are wilted and enjoy!!! Experiment with the time to see how long/short you like them the best.