Monday, November 21, 2011

Creamed Corn: A True Story

Bryant and I had been dating for just a few months when Thanksgiving rolled around.  He was scheduled to work that holiday and couldn't go home to Rexburg and wouldn't get off work in time to join my family for dinner.  I was housesitting and decided to attempt to impress him by cooking an entire Thanksgiving dinner for the two of us.  I asked him what his favorite dishes were from his version of Thanksgiving and he listed off apple pie (not a problem) and creamed corn.  I had never heard of creamed corn. So I googled it and read recipe after recipe, finally settling on one from the Savvannah Chop House.  Thanksgiving rolled around, the dinner was amazing, and when he tasted the creamed corn he was crazy impressed.  And then he asked me what brand made it.  I looked confused.  Brand?  It comes in a can?!?  I had no idea, and have been making creamed corn at his request from scratch ever since.

2 10 oz pkgs frozen corn
1 c whipping cream
1 c milk
1 t salt
6 T sugar
2 T melted butter
2 T flour

Combine first 5 ingredients and bring to a boil.  Simmer 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, blend butter and flour in a seperate bowl and add to corn mixture and mix well until thickened. 

1 comment:

kathy w. said...

What. I don't usually like creamed corn, but I have to try this.