Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Alternative

I made (and loved) this recipe last night.  It is quick and easy and delicious.  I made a few changes:

I put the crust in a 9 inch tart pan and baked it at 325 degrees for 8 minutes.

I used half of the amount of butter on accident.  But it worked just fine.  I also added a bit of salt to the crust.  I think next time I'll try halving the sugar called for in the crust too. 

I doubled the amount of flavor called for - the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and vanilla.

I didn't have enough whipping cream, so I used some cream and some leftover mascarpone cheese.  It was awesome.  Next time I'll experiement with more mascarpone cheese.

No brandy in the house (shocker) so we didn't have any brandy whipped cream.  I just served it plain.

We've eaten this for dessert, breakfast and lunch.  It is really good and a great way to use canned pumpkin.

1 comment:

Alan said...

What? No Brandy? ;)

Kristin had a (fairly orthodox) food professor in London who maintained that "if you can eat it with a spoon, it's not against the Word of Wisdom," lol. We're still substituting and omitting, but I always think of that.

The gingersnap/walnut crust sounds good.