Friday, April 10, 2009

Everything But The Ketchup Muffins

I have never been able to understand why people say they can't cook. Cooking is simple, you open a book and follow a recipe. Now being a great cook is a completely different matter, and I know that I am not a great cook. Great cooks don't need books and recipes, they simply know what ingredients go together, what ingredients are necessary to produce the desired result, and what cooking methods are appropriate for the given dish. For the most part I still cling to the comfort of a recipe, but every now and then I too create something wonderful. Behold, the muffins:

They don't look like much, but they are delicious. We are going out of town this weekend and had a random collection of foods in our refrigerator that would inevitably spoil, so I decided to make muffins. I am going to include the 'recipe' for these muffins, but not because I expect someone to actually make them. I will most likely never make them again, because I am not going to go out and buy all of the random ingredients that I used today. They were used today simply because they were there. These are all approximate amounts, I didn't actually measure anything.

3/4 c sweet potato puree (from food storage, used a 1/4 of the can earlier) 2 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 c cooked steel-cut oats (breakfast leftovers)
1/4 c applesauce (from food storage, already open and almost gone)
1/4 c plain yogurt (bread recipe)
1/4 c sweetened chestnut puree (crepe recipe)
3 egg yolks (lemon curd recipe)
zest of 1 Meyer lemon (lemon curd recipe)
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp grade B maple syrup
1/3 c brown sugar
1/4 tsp freshly ground green cardamom (Christmas drink recipe)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 c cornmeal (because I like the texture)
3/4 c whole wheat pastry flour (because I found it in the back of my cupboard)
1/2 c sweetened coconut flakes (from the coconut chicken recipe)
1/3 c chopped walnuts (in my cupboard)

I mixed it all together, put it in a muffin pan, and baked in at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. I was very nervous that they would be terrible, perhaps not sweet enough. Normally I prefer muffins once they have cooled completely but I couldn't wait to try them and I was shocked at how delicious they tasted! What an accomplishment. And now all my empty containers are washed out and waiting to go to recycling. What a good morning.

So here's your homework assignment. I want you to make up a recipe using what you have. Don't go out and buy ingredients (that takes away half of the fun) just use up what leftovers you have, and let me know what you make. Don't over think it, just have fun with it. Happy cooking.

2 comments:

melissa said...

I don't enjoy cooking but I do what I can ;) So I took your challenge. Someone had left an advertisement on our car at church for a burrito. So I started craving that well I came home and found we didn't have all of the ingredients for any recipes. I had zero sour cream, about an 1/8 of a cup of salsa etc. So I decided to create my own recipe. I put cooked rice, enchilada sauce, the remaining salsa, black beans, corn, parsley flakes, cumin and some cilantro from the garden and cooked that all up. Warmed up some tortillas and had myself a burrito! It turned out pretty nicely! My husband added some boiled chicken and salt to his. So it was quite an adventure!

kathy w. said...

My husband is actually really, really good at this. And since I've been working away at my thesis, he's had to make interesting concoctions more than usual.

When he makes his yummy shakes, basically anything in the fridge is up for grabs. My favorite concoction is the one that blends up peaches, yogurt, grape juice, spinach, a little honey, and frozen berries.