Saturday, April 25, 2009

Homemade Bread

A slice of warm, freshly baked bread has to be one of life's greatest pleasures. Homemade bread also makes a great gift. One night at dinner our friends served the most delicious bread and I loved the bread so much that I apologized for not eating the dinner, but explained that the bread was all I wanted. My cute friend Jill called Bryant later in the week to find out when I would be home so that she could surprise me with a loaf. Not only did she bring me a warm loaf of delicious bread, but also strawberry jam from her grandmother. I later realized that this was the first time anyone, other than my own grandmother, had given me bread. For some reason bread seems like an incredibly personal gift, perhaps because it represents home. Here are two of my favorite bread recipes. The first is a 100% whole wheat bread from King Arthur Flour. The recipe is quick, moist, and only makes 1 loaf which is perfect for Bryant & I. We don't have much freezer space so I would rather make bread more frequently than make 4 loaves at once, especially when the recipe takes so little time. The second recipe is from my friend Jill, and is perfect when you want fresh bread with dinner but don't have time to let it rise.

Classic 100% Whole Wheat Bread
2 1/2 tsp instant yeast or 1 packet active dry yeast dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
1 1/3 c lukewarm water
1/4 c olive oil (or you can use vegetable oil)
1/4 c honey (or you can use maple syrup, but I prefer honey)
3 1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 c nonfat dried milk
1 1/4 tsp salt

In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients and stir until the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead for 6 to 8 minutes until it becomes smooth and supple. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover, and allow to rise till puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 1 hour depending on the warmth of your kitchen.

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface and shape into an 8-inch log. Place in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan and cover lightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 30 to 60 minutes or until it has crowned about 1 inch above the edge of the pan. A finger pressed into the dough should leave a mark that rebounds slowly.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, tenting it lightly with foil after 20 minutes. Test for doneness by removing it from the pan and thumping it on the bottom, it should sound hollow. Remove from oven, turn out of pan, and cool on rack. Makes 1 loaf.

Jill's Irish Brown Bread

*I have made this by hand and in my food processor, both work great although the food processor is much faster.*

1 c all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp cold butter
2 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c regular rolled oats
1 1/2 c nonfat plain yogurt

Mix first 5 ingredients and then cut in butter until mixture forms fine crumbs. Stir in whole wheat flour and oats. Add yogurt and stir gently. If mixture is too dry stir in some milk 1 teaspoon at a time just until dough holds together.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead 5 times to make a ball. Set on a lightly greased baking sheet and pat into a 7-inch circle. Cut a large X on top of loaf.

Bake at 375 degrees until well browned, about 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on rack. Makes 1 loaf.

6 comments:

Cindee said...

How did you know I was looking for a good bread recipe? I went to a cooking class on whole wheat breads last week and I've been wanting to make some ever since. The only problem is that the point of the class was to convince you that you couldn't survive making it without their product: a $400 mixer that I seriously covet, but would rather go to Israel instead. So thanks! I'm excited to try these. And I get to continue enjoying the best of both worlds. As much as I want a mixer, I think I'll buy a camera first anyway.

melissa said...

I love homemade bread with jam. I remember my mom when we were little when she would bake bread that bread was gone in no time! thanks for the recipes!

Anonymous said...

I also am glad you posted this! Seems like all the whole wheat bread recipies I've tried have either been too dry or lacked flavor. These both sound like they would be very good. I think I will make the Irish Bread first as that looks easiest. On the first bread recipe am I suppose to roll out the dough and then roll it up into a log or can I just form it into a log by hand without needing to roll it out first?

Love,
Aunt Jayne

Adrienne said...

Aunt Jayne,

Just roll it with your hands into a log, the directions are a bit confusig because I think it would be better to just say shape it into a log. The point is to not have any air bubbles. They are easy and both taste great. Let me know what you think. Love you!

melissa said...

I made the first recipe today and it is very yummy! I also made some honey butter to go with it. sooo good. thanks for sharing these recipes

melissa said...

made the irish bread today... so yummy! Adrienne, you're bringing out the chef in me!!