Saturday, February 18, 2012

Honeyed Goat Cheese and Poached Pears

I love Pinterest, and know that I could easily get carried away with pinning every delightful (or delicious) idea that passes my way, but I try really hard to only pin those things I have every intention of doing, buying, or as in this case, eating.  I've wanted to make this recipe (found here) for a week or so and finally decided to forgo the crust and use the filling in poached pears instead.  And it was amazing.

You have to be a lover of goat cheese to like this.  Which I am.  Both of my kids are also infatuated with this soft white cheese so it was a huge hit at breakfast.  I cut the recipe in fourths and used 0% fat greek yogurt instead of 2% because that was what I had in my fridge.  I peeled and poached the pears in apple juice (again, because that was what was in my fridge) with 2 crushed pods of cardamom.  I used a lemon instead of a lime, and next time want to try it with an orange to play off of the orange blossom honey that I used.

Filling for Four Poached Pears

2.75 oz soft goat cheese
1/2 c greek yogurt
1 1/2 t lemon (or lime or orange) juice
1/2 t lemon (or lime or orange) zest
2 T powdered sugar
Honey to drizzle

Beat the goat cheese, yogurt, juice and zest until combined.  Add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.  Spoon into the centers of poached pears (we did 1 pear per person, split lengthwise and cored) and then drizzle with honey.  Prepare to lick your plate clean.

No comments: