Saturday, July 30, 2011

Ellie Giobbi's Italian-Style Bread

I found this recipe in yet another DI cookbook that sat on my mom's shelf and then my shelf for some time. It is our new favorite bread. This recipe makes 8 loaves (20 inches long and 3 inches wide) and I wrap each loaf in foil and keep it in the freezer. Each day I just take it out and set it on the counter to defrost and then save the foil for my next batch. Or if you want it hot just heat your oven to 500 degrees and put the bread in, wrapped in the foil, for 15 minutes.

2 T active dry yeast
8 c warm water
about 16 c flour*
2 T kosher salt or 1 1/4 T table salt

*I used 2/3 whole wheat (which I ground myself, aren't I just so domestic) and 1/3 all purpose. I ended up adding a bit more than 16 cups, I think I used 18, but my dough was still sticky and wet and it worked perfectly. Don't add too much flour!

Mix the yeast and water together and let sit for 5 minutes.

Add most of the flour and salt to a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the yeast water gradually, stirring as you pour. Work dough into a manageable ball and turn it out on a lightly floured surface. Knead until elastic, adding more flour as necessary, for about 10 minutes.

Oil the bottom and sides of a clean bowl and turn dough to coat, cover with a towel, and place in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.

Turn dough out and punch down. Divide into 8 pieces and form each piece into a long loaf - about 18 inches long and 2 inches wide. Place on an oiled baking sheet (I fit 4 per pan) and cover and let double in bulk, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place bread in oven on baking sheets and bake for 30 minutes, spritzing with water a few times during the first 15 minutes of baking to get a crisp crust. Remove bread from trays, turn them over, lower heat to 350 degrees, and bake 10 to 20 more minutes until done. Cool on racks.

I baked 2 pans at a time, and rotated them when I lowered the heat. They didn't need much more time to bake, about 6 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees. This bread has a great taste and a tender crumb and freezes well. Eight loaves may seem like a lot but they disappeared fast in our house.

1 comment:

Mike and Lauren said...

I'll let you know how it goes when I attempt this next week!