Monday, July 25, 2011

Pizza on the grill.

We waited to purchase a grill until we could buy a Traeger because once I tasted the deliciousness made by its wood-pellet burning self I couldn't settle for anything less. Completely worth the wait. (Costco has a Traeger special twice a year by the way.)

A few weeks ago I taught 14 12 and 13 year olds how to make homemade pizza and sauce. I tried out some new recipes and combined a few to come up with what is now my favorite of favorites. Absolutely delicious. We just made them with mozzarella on top but you can do anything you want.

I didn't plan anything for dessert and we had some dough left over so we rolled it out, grilled it, and then topped it with melted butter, cinnamon, sugar, and sweetened whipped cream. It was also amazing.

When I grill pizza I first grill my crust lightly on both sides, then remove and add toppings and return to the grill until it is done. I grill them at 450 degrees. I roll my crust very thin and use semolina to dust my rolling surface. I know the pre-grilling is done when my dough starts to puff up. Here's the recipe:

Pizza Dough

Combine the following in a bowl and stir until dissolved;

¼ c chicken stock (this doesn't taste odd in the dessert version by the way)

¾ c warm water

1 pkg dry yeast

1 T honey

1 T olive oil

Add and mix with a wooden spoon;

1 c flour

Add 2 more cups of flour and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.

Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead for 6 to 8 minutes until dough is smooth and firm. Grease a bowl with 1 T olive oil and then place dough in bowl, turning to coat with oil, cover with a towel and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.

Pizza Sauce

28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes (drain but reserve ¼ c liquid)

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 T olive oil

¼ to ½ t salt

1/8 to ¼ t freshly ground black pepper

1 t brown sugar

3 T tomato paste

2 t dried oregano

1 t dried thyme (ground if you are bothered by texture)

¼ to ½ t fennel seed, ground

Heat olive oil in a NON REACTIVE pot just over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant. Add all other dry ingredients and stir until fragrant. Add tomatoes and stir to coat with oil mixture and let cook for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and ¼ c reserved tomato liquid. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, smashing tomatoes and stirring occasionally. This recipe is easily doubled and is even better the next day.

If you cannot grill your pizzas, try this trick;

Heat a griddle or skillet over medium high heat and precook your rolled out dough on each side until golden brown spots appear. Let cool and then top with sauce and toppings and bake in 500 degree oven until done.

2 comments:

Ali said...

I've been wanting to make homemade pizza --- so glad you posted this!

Mike and Lauren said...

Yum...I want a grill! I will have to look into the Traeger