Saturday, July 30, 2011

Emeril's Braised Kohlrabi with Fennel and Leeks

*I didn't have leeks so I just used a yellow onion. I also don't buy alcohol so I used water instead of white wine.

2 T olive oil
1 T butter
3 large heads kohlrabi, cut into 1/2-inch-thick-wedges
1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 large bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 c water
3 c chicken stock
4 sprigs fresh thyme
3 sprigs fresh fennel fronds
1 t salt
1/2 t black pepper

Combine olive oil and butter in a large deep saute pan. Once butter has melted and foam has subsided add kohlrabi, onion and fennel and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, browning kohlrabi on each side (mine did not brown). Add water and cook until it has reduced by half. Add stock, thyme, and fennel fronds and season with salt and pepper. Cook partially covered for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender crisp. Remove thyme sprigs and fennel fronds before serving.

I spooned the polenta into a bowl and then topped it with the braised veggies, including the braising liquid. Connor drank the liquid after eating his food. It was that good.

1 comment:

Alan said...

I was wondering what would become of the kohlrabi when you mentioned having several of them. I bought one once, and it moved around in the fridge until it could hide behind something in the back, where it shriveled until I felt justified in throwing it away. This recipe (including Connor's enthusiasm) makes me want to try again.