Saturday, July 30, 2011

Emeril's Creamy Polenta

This is heaven on a spoon. You have been warned

4 c whole milk (I didn't have any milk so I just used evaporated milk which turned out to be quite lovely. I want to try making this with skim milk too.)
2 c chicken stock (I used 2 cups water and 2 teaspoons Better Than Bullion Chicken Stock which I buy on the baking aisle at Costco)
4 T butter
2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 3/4 c stone-ground polenta
1/4 c mascarpone cheese (his recipe calls for 1/2 cup but I used less)
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (his recipe calls for 1 cup but I just grated some on top when it was served)

Combine milk, chicken stock, butter, salt and pepper in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Whisk in polenta and stir until it begins to thicken, then reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring frequently, until creamy and tender. *His recipe indicates this will take 30 minutes, mine was done in about 8 minutes. I used regular polenta, not instant, so I don't know why mine cooked so quickly.

Remove from heat and add mascarpone cheese and stir to blend. Serve immediately with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese sprinkled on top.

Leftover polenta can be reheated just be sure to add a little water or milk to soften it.

No comments: